Using the SOAR Method for Effective Studying
The SOAR method is an effective studying technique that involves four steps.
- S - Survey the material by previewing chapters and sections.
- O - Organize the information by creating outlines, concept maps and lists.
- A - Ask yourself questions about the material as you study.
- R - Regularly review and recap what you've learned.
The benefits of using the SOAR method include:
- Active studying
- The method encourages an active approach to studying.
- Higher retention
- The techniques help commit information to long-term memory.
To apply the SOAR method when studying:
- Survey the material by previewing chapter headings and summaries.
- Organize the information using techniques like outlining or concept mapping.
- Ask yourself questions about key terms, concepts and ideas as you study.
- Regularly review and recap what you've learned to reinforce it.
- Test yourself to check your understanding and identify gaps.
In summary, the SOAR method provides a structured approach to studying that can boost retention and understanding.
By surveying, organizing, questioning and regularly reviewing the material, you can study more actively and efficiently.